Growth Projects – do these during the time frame of Oct 15 until Nov 12, and meet with your cohort. Session Handout
Head – Knowing the Gospel
- Read Scripture – 1:16-17, 1 Cor. 15:1-8, 2 Tim. 1:8-10, Eph. 1:13-14, 2 Cor. 5:21. Jot down the basics of the gospel from these verses.
- Read – Chapter 4-5 of Gospel Fluency by Jeff Vanderstelt, “What is the Gospel?” sheet by Gilbert, “The Gospel – Key to Change” article by Keller.
- Write – Summarize the gospel in a paragraph. Include Scripture references and a basic definition of the essential elements of the gospel message.
Heart – Loving the Gospel
- Read – Two articles: “How Christ Changes Us by His Grace” by Lane and Trip & “Idol Shattering” by Darrin Patrick.
- Watch – The Gospel in 6 Minutes (John Piper) speaking on the gospel and how he applied the preaching the gospel to yourself method related to his cancer.
- Meditate – List your idols and how gospel speaks to them, list specific verses that apply. Write out a few ideas on how you will speak the gospel to yourself this week/month. Use the session notes two tree diagram, formation time sheet, and articles to help you.
Hands – Living the Gospel
- Read Scripture – Colossians 4:2-6; Matthew 9:36-38; Ephesians 6:18-21.
- Write – your prayer for your friends based on these verses.
Optional Further Study Ideas
- Gospel Fluency by Jeff Vanderstelt
- What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert
- Living the Cross Centered Life by CJ Mahaney
- The Gospel for Real Life by Jerry Bridges
- The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler
- Counterfeit Gods by Tim Keller
- How People Change by Lane and Tripp
- “What is the Gospel? John Piper
- CJ Mahaney on preaching the gospel to yourself“
- John Piper – Preach the Gospel to Yourself”
- Vanderstelt Gospel Fluency teaching sessions link