Growth Projects – do these during the time frame of Nov 12 until your next cohort meeting. Session Handout.
Head – The Nature of the Church
- Read Scripture – Matthew 16:16-18; Acts 2:41-47; Ephesians 4:11-16; Col 1:15-20; Matthew 28:18-20; Matthew 22:37-39; Acts 13:1-4.
- Read – Bible Doctrine by Wayne Grudem, “The Nature of the Church,” (Chapter 26) or read this section The Church out of his larger Systematic Theology; “The Church” by Christ Community; and “7 Hallmark Principles for Christ Building His Church,” by Richard Mayhue.
- Write – A summary paragraph answering the question, “What are the elements of a healthy local church?”
Heart – We are the Church
- Watch – Four videos from Saturate about the Church and identity.
- Read – Descriptions of Elders and Deacons from 9Marks, and “6 Reasons Why Membership Matters,” by Kevin DeYoung, and “The Body of Christ” by David Platt.
- Meditate – How can you increase your heart for the local church and your commitment to it? How might you live out the three identities (from Saturate videos)?
Hands – Parkview Church
- Read – Parkview Church – Mission and Vision Document.
- Meditate – How do these statements and objectives apply to your life right now?
Leadership Track – What’s Next?
- Meditate – brainstorm ideas on what you might study next and how you might pursue involvement in a ministry or leadership position.
For Further Study (optional)
- EFCA Distinctives and Statement of Faith, also see the website: efca.org/explore
- Nine Marks of a Healthy Church by Mark Dever, also see: 9marks.org/about
- Center Church by Timothy Keller
- Total Church by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis