Growth Projects: Work on these on your own and then meet as a cohort during the time frame of Sept. 17 until Oct. 15
Head: Understanding the Bible – authority and reliability
- Read Scripture – 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21; 1 Cor 2:10-13; Matthew 5:17; Hebrews 4:12; James 1:22-25. Jot down observations and applications.
- Read – Bible Doctrine by Grudem chapters 2 & 3 on the Doctrine of the Word of God by Grudem – scan (for more detail read – Big Grudem, for a quick overview, read – Baby Grudem)
- Write – a summary paragraph on reasons why you believe that the Bible is authoritative and the Word of God. List ideas on how might you answer a skeptic.
Heart: Loving the Bible – meditation
- Read – handout about John Piper’s IOUS prayer and listen to the corresponding audio “I’m Bored with the Bible.” (located at: desiringgod.org)
- Meditate – Pick a portion of Psalm 119 to read. Meditate on its truths and pray them into your life and heart. Write out a short prayer.
- Read — Mark 4:1-20. Which soil is where your heart is at right now? Journal and pray.
Hands: Getting into the Bible – methods
- Try out – a Bible study method applied to a passage of your choice. Passage ideas: study one of the passages listed on this page about the Word of God.
- Use the Discovery Method or Inductive Method
- Here are a few other methods you can try out if you know the discovery and inductive method well.
- The Bible Project
- Blue Letter Bible
- NET Bible
- Center for the Study of NT Manuscripts
- Look at the Book
For Further Study
- Story of Scripture (summary Notes)
- Archaeology and the Bible (article)
- How Does the Law Apply to Christians Today? (article)
- Living by the Book by Howard Hendricks
- Creative Bible Teaching by Richards and Bredfeldt
- How to Study the Bible by Kay Arthur
- The Navigator Bible Studies Handbook
- Rick Warren’s Bible Study Methods
- The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? by F.F. Bruce
- How We Got the Bible by Timothy Paul Jones
- How We Got the New Testament – Christian History Made Easy (2 min)
- How We Got the New Testament – teaching session (Jones – 28 min)
- Is the Bible Relable? by Lee Strobel (2 min)