Growth Projects – work on these until your next cohort meeting.
Head – Understanding the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit
- Read Scripture – Scan John 14-16, Romans 8, 1 Corinthians 12, and Galatians 5. What do these passages teach on the Holy Spirit? How should we live in relationship to Him?
- Read – “The Holy Spirit “ Gospel Coalition booklet by Kevin DeYoung.
- Write – A summary paragraph explaining the person and work of the Spirit.
Heart – Relying on the Holy Spirit
- Read – Select chapters from Forgotten God by Francis Chan
- Watch – Dann Spader teaching on Youtube “Week 3: Jesus and the Holy Spirit.”
- Meditate – What stands out to you from these resources and what will you apply?
Hands – Discovering and Using the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Take a gifts survey – if you have never done so, take this Spiritual Gifts Test.
- Read – Review the list of gifts on first two pages of the above survey and read this Spiritual Gifts Descriptions document. Write out your responses to the questions on the last page.
- Discuss – your results from the survey/test with your cohort. Also discuss the questions together from the last page of the Spiritual Gifts Descriptions document.
- Write – how you will apply the ideas in the head, heart, and hands section to your life, ministry, and leadership.
For Further Study (optional)
- Further reading on the Person and Work of the Spirit, Christian Theology.
- Bible Study on the Holy Spirit
- Secret Church material on The Holy Spirit
- Bruce Ware teaching on The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit
- Bible Study on the Fruit of the Spirit
- SHAPE Interactive Bible Study discovering your gifts, heart, abilities, personality, and experiences.
- The Fruitful Life by Jerry Bridges (on the fruit of the Spirit)
- Forgotten God by Francis Chan
- For further study on the spiritual gifts and the debate about the miraculous gifts, read Bible Doctrine by Grudem pages 396-424 and Biblical Doctrine by MacArthur and Mayhue pages 800-818.
- Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath.